Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Ideal Woman

I watched a documentary today. It was about mannequin makers. These artists basically decide what the "ideal" woman is-this is what we see when we go into clothing stores. What we all compare ourselves to. When we see clothing on a mannequin, we all secretly hope that the clothing will look just as good on us as it does on the mannequin (never mind that the mannequin's clothing usually has to be pinned to fit properly, since they don't really make clothing that actually FITS the mannequin...) Anyways, the artist said that they usually make the mannequins in the size 34x25x36. I was curious-it has been a little while since I measured myself. So...I measured myself. With my clothes on, in the middle of the day, and this is what I came up with:

34x26x37

So close, yet so far away?

And what does that say about me? Am I truly happy with my body yet? Or do I still feel so far from perfection that I will never reach it?

Well, what IS perfect, anyways? And who should I let decide what perfect is for {me}? I guess that's what I really need to work on. And besides. I really shouldn't compare myself to a mannequin. I mean, they're made out of plastic. They can't move, and they sure can't have as much fun in their "perfect" body as I can have in mine, right? :)

Just a thought. Thought I would share. I really am amazed at how far I've come and how much I've changed, just within this past year. I'm not sure I've ever really felt proud of myself. Not when I made it through Power School or Prototype, not when I qualified my watches, not even when I made the Dean's List every semester of my undergraduate degree. But I do feel a certain amount of pride when I look in the mirror these days. I still see my problem areas, but instead of dwelling on the problems, I try to think of solutions. Try, being the operative word.

I actually went into a clothing store the other day and COULD NOT find a single pair of pants to fit me. None of the Women's pants were small enough (just one size too big, but still), and the Junior's pants didn't fit right. I guess I can't shop in that store anymore, because they just don't stock the right size for me. I'm a little sad, but also really happy. More happy than sad, to tell the truth.

Well, I am coming up on Student Teaching, and this semester will be challenging and {hopefully} rewarding. Matt's going to be ridiculously busy with work, but he's only got about 200 days left, and he's counting down!

Well, I will talk to all of you later,
Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment