Friday, January 21, 2011

Belize, Part 3 {Updated wtih Pictures}

Ok, so Thursday was our birding day. As I said, Matt took all the good pictures. I didn't even pull out the camera to take a picture of a bird. I was just enjoying finding all the birds in my new binoculars that Matt got me before we left. They are AWESOME! I'm so excited to put them to use here in CA...Anyways, we went birding. THis is something I've never really done before. We basically drove around and looked for birds. Here's a list of the 38 birds or so that we saw that day:
Great-tailed Grackle

Pale-Vented Pigeon
Bat Falcon
Boat-billed Flycatcher
Fork-tailed Flycatcher

1. Great Kiskadee
2. Social Flycatcher
3. Tropical Kingbird
{I get those 3 confused, and can't really tell the difference, so these next pictures could be any of the 3...}

Vermilion Flycatcher
Roadside Hawk
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Red-legged Honey Creeper
Summer Tanager
Masked Tityra
Brown Jay
Gray Catbird
Tropical Mockingbird
Golden-fronted Woodpecker
Altamira Oriole
Baltimore Oriole
Orchard Oriole
Olive-throated Parakeet
Red Lored Parrot
Cattle Egret
Great Egret
Little Blue Heron
Blue Grosbeak
Blue-black Grassquit
Blue Seedeater
Indigo Bunting
Variable Seedeater
White-collared Seedeater
Keel-billed Toucan
Black-headed Trogan

On other days, throughout the visit, we also saw:
Smooth Billed Ani
Plain Chachalaca
Ruddy Ground Dove
Green Kingfisher
Lesser Yellow-headed Vulture
Red-throated Ant Tanager
White-collared Manakin
Blue-crowned Mot Mot
Rufous-tailed Jacomar

Hooded Warbler
Wood Thrush

And, the mystery bird. Matt and I both don't remember what this was...but it's kind of pretty!

Amazing!

Look closely at this picture: you'll see the green iguana in the tree. He liked sitting up there; the next time we drove by a few days later, he was still there! He has a spiny back, but is not a spiny-tailed iguana. The young of this iguana are vibrantly green, which is where they get their name.
 Matt and I, on our birding trip. I told you I didn't take any pictures of birds...I was too busy looking for them!
 We stopped for breakfast at Maya Center. Our guide was kind enough to take a picture of us :)
 Here we are, posing with the plant called "Hot Lips." Can you tell why they call them that?

 Ok, after our birding trip, we decided to walk down the beach. It was stormy, hence the jackets. And the storm had washed up all sorts of junk onto the shore. Here's a coconut.
 And the inside of a coconut.


Here's a croc! Ahhh!
 A lot of garbage washes up....
 We headed back to relax in the hammock. Yes, we both fit.
 See!
:) That was  a fun, relaxing day. Not too strenuous. I've decided that I like looking at birds with someone who knows what kind they all are. But, I also just like looking at birds. Especially with a good pair of binoculars. I promise to light a fire under Matt and get him to post some pictures of those birds.

We went to bed that night, anticipating the next day. Mayan Ruins!!!

~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment