Friday, March 15, 2013

Microgreens

For Christmas, Matt gave me a book about growing microgreens. I'd never really heard of microgreens, and thought they were similar to sprouts. But, they're a little different. Sprouts are the germinated seeds, and you eat the root, stem, seed, and underdeveloped leaves. Sprouts are grown in the dark. Microgreen, after you germinate the seeds, are grown in the light, usually until the first true leaves appear. You eat microgreens by cutting the stem, leaving the roots behind :)

Well, I'm going to give it a go. I've ordered a starting kit from growingmicrogreens.com, and I'm patiently awaiting its arrival. Microgreens can be grown on your countertop, take about 10 days to mature, and can easily add greens to your diet, with minimal effort. I can't wait!


~Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment