Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Graduation

Ok, so I don't know how many of you knew, but I wasn't sure that I was going to actually graduate in December. I was waiting for 4 credits from the community college to transfer in, and I was getting the total runaround from everyone. First TCC (the community college) said they were going to transfer the credits as soon as the grade posted in December. Well, I contacted them after Christmas when they reopened to make sure they had transferred them, and lo and behold, they hadn't sent the transcript yet. What? Are you serious? They told me they were extremely sorry, and that they would send the transcript first thing in the morning. So this is something like January 10th. Well, I checked with ODU on about the 15th, and they hadn't received any transcript yet. So I called TCC again, and said, WTH? Why haven't you transferred my credits? They said they had, so I called ODU again. They hadn't received it yet. Can you see why I was frustrated? I got a little busy with school, but at this point I had actually received an email from the graduation guy saying that I didn't actually graduate in December and I would need to request graduation for the spring. No big deal, I can do that. Well, so it is February, and I decide to contact ODU and see if they have my transcript. It was about the middle of Feb, and I emailed the director of transfer admitting. She emailed me back and said they had received the transcript on January 27th. January 27th! When TCC was supposed to send it "The Next Day" on January 10th? Arghh...At this point I'm extremely frustrated, b/c it is going to take 4 to 6 weeks for the grade to post. Then I had a meeting with Arminda. Who's Arminda, you ask? Well, she's the program adviser for MSED PK-6 program at ODU. She knows the ins and outs of the program like no one else. Anyways, we got to the end of our meeting, where I was putting in my application for student teaching for the fall semester, and I remembered that I should bring up the fact that I hadn't technically graduated yet. She was like, "What? Oh, no. That's not good. Let's see what we can do about it." She emailed the transfer transcript woman, told her the situation-all of this right in front of me. I left for the day, not getting my hopes up. Well, yesterday I got an email from Arminda, and this is what she sent me:



So there you have it. I don't know why I didn't have Arminda take care of it earlier, but in 1 week she was able to do what I had been trying to do for over two months. Some people don't like Arminda; they aren't happy when she tells them that if they are not doing the Master's program and instead pursuing some other path, they will not get preference. The preference goes to those of us pursuing our Master's. I think its fair. I mean, we're spending more money with the university. We're going through their program the way it was designed.
And did you see that GPA? 3.91! That means that in the end I graduated Summa Cum Laude. In case you were wondering, which I'm sure you were, I made the Dean's List every semester of my undergrad degree at ODU.That was actually something I was doing in honor of Dad. I know that he would be really proud of me, as I'm sure you all are, too. The last thing we talked about together was my first midterm test I took, which was for my Music Appreciation class. I got 100% on it. He was so proud. I wish he could see me now, college grad and all. If only I knew how to tie my shoes... (inside joke.)

I'm so excited. I think I'm more excited now about my December Bachelor's Degree than I would have been if I would have automatically gotten it. Talking to others in my program who have to immediately go on to the Master's Program, I can understand why most of them aren't too thrilled about their diploma. At the moment, it is just a piece of paper. Three more semesters, and we'll have something we can actually get a job with.

Anyways, I should really study for a midterm test I have today. I am going to the Elementary school this morning, which I'm excited about. I didn't go on Monday b/c of the snow, I didn't go yesterday, b/c they were SOL testing, and I'm not going tomorrow b/c of testing, so today's my day. I have this midterm test tonight, which shouldn't be too bad. Then I have a group presentation tomorrow. Along with a literature circle that we're going to do in class to. Shoot! I forgot about that. Oh, well, I have all day tomorrow to get that done. And then........It is off to ENGLAND!!! (Did I mention I'm a little excited about that?) I'm getting more and more excited the closer it gets.

Ok, off to the shower for me :)

Pam

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad everything ended up working out for you. Congrats on having such a high GPA! Remember, it's not the destination that counts, it's the journey!
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, I'm so pleased you graduated Summa Cum Laude! Congratulations!!

    I didn't know you'd lost your dad. Deepest sympathy.

    When are you going to England and where will you go? Barry and I love England.

    ReplyDelete